07 June 2006

In Memory...

This is my (maternal) Grandmother. She was born May 1, 1920. She died around 9:30 PM June 5, 2006. She was 86 years old. She's survived by:

2 siblings (she was one of 6 children)
3 children (she had a total of 5 children)
6 grandchildren
11 great-grandchildren (out of 12 great-grandchildren)

This picture was taken at Christmas time. It is me, the QP, my Mom, my cousin (her mom & mine were sisters - her mom passed away in 1988), and my cousin's daughter. And, of course, my Grandma. Four generations.


Here is my Grandma with the QP and my cousin's 4 children.

The QP & I lived with my Grandma for about 2 years after the death of my Grandfather. She & the QP were very close.

For the past two years, she's been living in a nursing home. She didn't like it there. When her last bit of freedom (being able to leave the home & walk to her daughter's house, less than a block away from the home) was taken away from her, she refused to eat. Then she wouldn't get out of bed. Within a couple of weeks, she died. Her youngest daughter was her power of attorney while her son was on vacation (he & his wife left for Colorado around Memorial Day - knowing my Grandmother was not doing well). She had one of the nursing home nurses call my Mom (her sister) to tell her that their mother had died. Before my Grandmother's son left on vacation, he and his sister planned on having a memorial service for my Grandmother in July (when he's back from his vacation). The service is scheduled for July 15th. They didn't include my Mom in the planning at all.

My Grandmother would be apalled (is that how you spell that word??) at how some of her children are acting.

Needless to say, it's a rough time.


13 comments:

Nancy Wetmore-Mathews said...

You have my sympathies.

Illness and death can bring out some very ugly things in families. I'm sorry you are experiencing a bit of that.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. It is difficult enough to loose a loved one but to have people behave thoughtlessly makes it even worse. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Maribel said...

I am so sorry for your lose, if you need anything .. let me know. Just remember to breath and get as much sleep as you can.

Maribel said...

I am so sorry for your lose, if you need anything .. let me know. Just remember to breath and get as much sleep as you can.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Angelia,
My sympathies for the loss of your Grandma. Maybe you and your mom can have a little remembrance ceremony or something yourselves. Gram would probably like that.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! I'm sending some hugs your way.

spinnity said...

Angelia, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Grandma's Christmas photo has such a spark -- she looks like she might have a little bit of a squirrely side. I hope your family can get it together to remember her with love.

Anonymous said...

Oh Angelia, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandma. My thoughts are with you and your family in these sad days.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Rositta said...

My condolances on your loss. I dont know you or you me but I check your blog periodically because I am a knitter among other things. I am appalled that a nursing home would arbitrarily remove a right from a human being unless she was very frail. My eldery Mom lives with us and a nursing home is not an option. Of course as an only child I get to make that decision. I HATE those homes. The way your family is behaving, it will come back to them fear not. Take care of yourself.

alimum said...

I was visiting and wanted to express my condolences.

It is hard to watch some people use death and grief to settle scores. You just have try to not let their ugliness spoil your memories.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're doing well. I miss your posts.

Sarah said...

I am so sorry for your loss!!!

Hugs!